Applications are now open for the Australian College of Optometry Certificate in Ocular Therapeutics (ACO–COT) which commences on 15 April. This will be the only Certificate in Ocular Therapeutics run by the College in 2019.
The ACO therapeutics course is accredited by the Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand (OCANZ) and approved by the Optometry Board of Australia (OBA). Successful completion of the ACO-COT enables scheduled medicines endorsement for registered optometrists in Australia and New Zealand.
The course is available for completion online and offers flexibility for those managing their study with work and family commitments, like optometrist Jelle De Block who practices on Kangaroo Island in South Australia.
Mr De Block said his inability to prescribe ocular therapeutics drove his decision to complete the ACO-COT.
“I am extremely happy that I did the course and that I now have the freedom to prescribe and treat eye diseases without the hassle of sending my patients 90 minutes up the road to an ophthalmologist or to the GP simply to have a script handed to them,” said Mr De Block.
“I enjoyed getting back into ‘study-mode’ and found the course both interesting and stimulating and I got an even better grasp on things than what I already knew and understood.”
Mr De Block says the course suited his remote location as it enabled him to remain at his practice while studying. He only had to travel to sit exams and complete the 50 hours of placement. He also acknowledged the excellent support provided to him throughout the course, saying that the ACO was very flexible in allowing him to complete the necessary requirements.
“I can highly recommend the ACO course to anyone contemplating becoming therapeutically endorsed,” said Mr De Block.
Course features include:
• Flexible delivery comprising online lectures,
• Self-paced independent learning,
• E-learning materials,
• Local clinical placements within Australia and/or New Zealand,
• A range of topics including general principles of disease and ocular diseases and therapeutic management,
• Points – 80 CPD (Australia) / 40CD (NZ) upon successful completion of the Certificate,
• Live, interactive webinars,
• Cost effective and tax deductible,
• High level of support provided by the ACO Popular online discussion forums and networking opportunities,
• Presented by an expert team from universities and clinical practices across Australia and New Zealand, and
• Ideal for rural or remote optometrists and those balancing work and family commitments.
For more information visit aco.org.au/professional-development/ocular-therapeutics-course.
Special course registration fees and member benefits are available for ACO members.